Sunday, June 14, 2015

Escape from Fitch Mountain


Today we went up to Healdsburg to participate in the “Escape from Fitch Mountain” road race.  Karol ran the 10K and I walked the 3K, since I can no longer run due to arthritis in my knees.
Karol did very well and ran her best time in quite a while.  She came in first in her age group!

I was locked in an epic battle of wills with a woman who was just ahead of me.  I would pick up my pace to catch and pass her and, just as I was closing in, she would start to run for a block or two.  When she started walking again, I would set my sights on catching her.  Once again, as I closed in, she started to run.  It was nip and tuck, to and fro, cat and mouse for about 2 ½ kilometers until she finally ran full out for the finish and beat me.  As they gave out the awards after the race, I didn’t feel too bad since she won her age group.  Then I realized she was in the 80 and over group!!!!   
Nonetheless, I won a ribbon for third place in my age group – third out of three isn’t too bad for my first race as a walker!

Here’s Karol running for the finish line and getting her award.  She wanted to make sure that her cup of Starbucks was clearly visible but then turned it in her hand – what are you gonna do!

 
Here I am proudly accepting my award, as shown below.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment